Child Abuse Prevention is Our Responsibility
Healing Our Children is Key to their Destiny
- There is an estimated 39 Million survivors of childhood sexual abuse existing in America today.
- Approximately 35% of women, 20% of men in the US were victims of sexual abuse as children.
- Nearly 70 % of child sex offenders have between 1 and 9 victims; 20% have 10-40 victims.
- Up to 2000 children in the US die of abuse and neglect each year.
- More than 20% of children are sexually abused before the age of 8, the median age for reported abuse is 9.
- Over 30% of victims NEVER disclose the experience to anyone.
- 85% of child sexual abuse takes place with a family member or friend in the home. Sexual abuse cuts cross all racial, religious and socioeconomic boundaries.
- 11% of pregnant adolescences reported becoming pregnant as a result of sexual assault, mostly incest.
- Almost always the sex offender is male. He molests an average of 117 youngsters most of whom do not report the offense. The victim is likely to be a boy he knows.
Sadly, child sexual abuse is happening at an epidemic rate in our society. Protecting young and innocent children is a job for adults. Children are the victims in nearly 70% of all reported sexual assaults. The median age for sexual abuse is 9 years old. 1 out of every 4 girls and 1 out of every 6 boys will be sexually abused before they turn 18. Most child victims never report the abuse. Those who sexually abuse children are drawn to settings where they can gain easy access to children.
In seconds a child's life can be shattered. Their innocence stolen forever. The effect of sexual abuse devastate and haunts victims for years. Victims struggle with guilt, shame, depression, anger, low self-esteem, self-hate, poor grades in school, and unhealthy sexual behaviors. Sexual abuse also
increases the likelihood of substance abuse, eating disorders, teen pregnancy, violent crimes and suicide
If you are interested in JOINING the fight to help prevent child sexual abuse we would love to hear from you. It takes a VILLAGE to protect child. Please feel free to express your interest by sending an email to Support@CrossroadWomenFamily.org. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you!